Tuesday, March 30, 2010

From Soup to Nuts...

Ever wonder where that came from?... Found this on "The Straight Dope," a blog whose tagline reads, "Fighting ignorance since 1973 (It's taking longer than we thought)...



Good old Wiki adds that " the expression is "comparable to expressions in other languages, such as the Latin phrase ab ovo usque ad mala ("from the egg to the apples"), describing the typical Roman meal"... That sounds like a picnic...

Which brings us to the expression, "It's no picnic"... Answers.com says that "'It's no picnic for him' is a phrase saying a task is difficult and unenjoyable, or something is not easy for a person"... Tell that to some of my germophobe friends who also hate ants, flies, and nature in general when it comes to dining al fresco...

This rambling commentary is all Daniel's fault... Actually, I am kind of happy and surprised that GMS is getting readers to think in more interdisciplinary ways about soup... He shares a clip of the Three Stooges learning table etiquette, along with the proper way to sip a bowl of soup in "Half Wit's Holiday"...

This got me curious, so I started searching for more soup-related videos of the Stooges and found this gem of a scene with Moe and his difficulties with a bowl of clam chowder...



But this one "takes the cake" with Curly's showdown with a bowl of oyster stew... Almost the same gag, but different...

Although I am predisposed by gender to hate the Three Stooges, I told Daniel that I would include the clip if he could send me 50 words on how it embodies GMS's anthropological examination of soup, food, and comfort in our culture... He sent me 173 words... So as editor-in-chief and head-bottlewasher, I chose these 50...

"I tried alluding to some GMS references by metaphorically adding alphabet pasta to soup as song; solving problems with pie throwing; poking fun at how we take ourselves too seriously when following rules of etiquette. And emphasizing the happy experience everyone should get when eating a delicious bowl of piping hot soup which is just the way GMS enjoys her soup!"

Okay, so there were 61 words... Thought I'd give the guy a break...

No comments:

Post a Comment